from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A dioecious shrub (Piper methysticum) native to the Pacific islands, having cordate leaves and minute flowers clustered in solitary spikes.
- n. A dietary supplement derived from the roots of this plant, used as a sedative.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A plant from the South Pacific, Piper methysticum.
- n. An intoxicating beverage made from the kava plant.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A species of Macropiper (Macropiper methysticum), the long pepper, from the root of which an intoxicating beverage is made by the Polynesians, by a process of mastication; also, the beverage itself.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A Polynesian shrub, Macropiper latifolium (Piper methysticum), of the pepper family.
- n. A beverage derived from this plant.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. an alcoholic drink made from the aromatic roots of the kava shrub
Tongan, acrid, kava.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Tongan kava, in turn from Proto-Polynesian *kawa (Wiktionary)