from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Of, characterized by, or generating hallucinations, distortions of perception, altered states of awareness, and occasionally states resembling psychosis.
- n. A drug, such as LSD or mescaline, that produces such effects.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Of, containing, generating, or reminiscent of drug-induced hallucinations, distortions of perception, altered awareness etc.
- adj. Having bright colours, abstract shapes, etc. reminiscent of drug-induced hallucinations or distortions of perception.
- n. Any psychoactive substance (such as LSD or psilocybin) which, when consumed, causes perceptual changes (sometimes erratic and uncontrollable), visual hallucination, and altered awareness of the body and mind.
- interj. awesome, cool, groovy
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. producing distorted sensory perceptions and feelings or altered states of awareness or sometimes states resembling psychosis
- adj. having the vivid colors and bizarre patterns associated with psychedelic states
- adj. (of a mental state) characterized by intense and distorted perceptions and hallucinations and feelings of euphoria or sometimes despair
In fact, before the term psychedelic was coined, LSD, psilocybin, and mescaline were called psychotomimetics; they mimic psychosis.
ROSE: The 13th Floor Elevators are sometimes credited with inventing the term psychedelic rock.
(CBS) For many, mentioning the term psychedelic likely conjures images of long-haired hippies from the 1960s immersed in a drug culture typified by Timothy Leary's slogan "Turn on, tune in, drop out."
He uses the word "psychedelic" at least 100 times.
The Stepkids' explosive style by adding the word "psychedelic" any of the following genres: jazz, punk, soul, funk, even classical.
His next step is to paint it in psychedelic colors.
In the second, Smith reclines, on a chaise longue, in psychedelic harem drag.
Another is a group of spaced-out hippies in psychedelic clothing (often optional) at a “be-in.”
He resists the word psychedelic, but the music on Echo Park musician Tim Presley
With his friend R. Gordon Wasson, he participated in psychedelic rituals with Mazatec shamans in southern Mexico.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.