from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Informal One, such as a studio or producer, that is unaffiliated with a larger or more commercial organization.
- n. Informal An artistic work produced by an independent company or group: "[His film] showed that indies could . . . take in millions at the box office” ( Liesl Schillinger).
- adj. Of, relating to, or being an indie: an album of indie rock; an indie film company.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. any form of popular culture (such as pop music from a group not signed to a major label) from outside the mainstream
- adj. a type of rock music, generally soft-style without screaming or aggression, mixed with synthesized music and electronic.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. (of pop groups) not affiliated with a major recording company
- n. a pop group not affiliated with a major record company
- n. an independent film company not associated with an established studio
ind(ependent) + -y1.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From independent, by shortening (Wiktionary)