from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A discotheque.
- n. Popular dance music, especially of the late 1970s, characterized by strong repetitive bass rhythms.
- n. A style of dancing usually done to disco music.
- intransitive v. To dance to disco music.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A short form of discotheque, a place for dancing.
- n. A type of music popular in discotheques.
- v. To dance disco-style dances.
- v. To go to discotheques.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a public dance hall for dancing to recorded popular music
- n. popular dance music (especially in the late 1970s); melodic with a regular bass beat; intended mainly for dancing at discotheques
- v. dance to disco music
Short for discotheque.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From a shortening of discotheque, from French discothèque. (Wiktionary)