from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A discotheque.
- n. Popular dance music, especially of the late 1970s, characterized by strong repetitive bass rhythms.
- n. A style of dancing usually done to disco music.
- intransitive v. To dance to disco music.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A short form of discotheque, a place for dancing.
- n. A type of music popular in discotheques.
- v. To dance disco-style dances.
- v. To go to discotheques.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a public dance hall for dancing to recorded popular music
- n. popular dance music (especially in the late 1970s); melodic with a regular bass beat; intended mainly for dancing at discotheques
- v. dance to disco music
The people who streamlined the word disco for what would prove to be its eventual adoption on a global scale would prefer to hit a disco to dance the night away.
(A note to younger readers: The term disco-ing means - oh, never mind.)
There is no ideal translation for the word "disco" in this circumstance.
Can you even learn how to roller disco from a book?
Like Madonna, Lady Gaga's music is yet another rehash of the kind of dance music that was called disco in the 1970s and was given other labels in the intervening decades.
Baby loves disco is an afternoon dance party featuring real music spun and mixed by real djs blending classic disco tunes From the 70s, & 80s guaranteed to get those little booties moving and grooving.
The rest of the complex, including the Dance Annex bar, their main disco, appeared only moderately busy that night, as opposed to the barely-able-to-move crowd of the mid-1990's.
It even comes with a wacka-chicka end-title disco version.
The record really is solid throughout, and feels quite versatile: there are songs here that could work great in disco or minimal techno mixes, and the album as a whole makes for great headphone listening, or great after-hours comedown listening.
Comments (7) pete: holy crap! ok italo disco is a guilty pleasure of mine, and the opening track blows me away! thanks for finding this!!!!! and your 100% right, this mix is hot!
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.