from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Any of several North American freshwater fishes of the genus Coregonus or Leucichthys, related to and resembling the whitefish.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The Lake herring (Coregonus Artedi), valuable food fish of the Great Lakes of North America. The name is also applied to Coregonus Hoyi, a related species of Lake Michigan.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A name of sundry species of whitefish, of the genus Coregonus.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. cold-water fish caught in Lake Superior and northward
- n. important food fish of cold deep lakes of North America
From Canadian French ciscoette, from Ojibwa bemidewiskawed, the (fish) with oily skin.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From French ciscoette ("siscowet"), from Ojibwe siscowet ("cooks itself"). (Wiktionary)