from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A freshwater fish (Rutilus rutilus) of northern Europe.
- n. Any of various similar or related fishes, such as some North American sunfishes.
- n. The cockroach.
- n. Slang The butt of a marijuana cigarette.
- n. A roll of hair brushed up from the forehead or temple.
- n. A hairstyle especially among certain Native American peoples in which the head is shaved except for a strip from front to back across the top.
- n. Nautical An outward curve in the leech of a fore-and-aft sail.
- transitive v. To brush (hair) in a roach.
- transitive v. To shave (the mane of a horse) to a short bristle.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A small freshwater fish in the carp family (Cyprinidae), Rutilus rutilus.
- n. a cockroach.
- n. A butt of a marijuana cigarette.
- n. The filter of a rolled cigarette or joint, made from card or paper.
- n. An extra curve of material added to the leech edge of a sail to increase the sail area.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A cockroach.
- n. A European fresh-water fish of the Carp family (Leuciscus rutilus). It is silver-white, with a greenish back.
- n. An American chub (Semotilus bullaris); the fallfish.
- n. The redfin, or shiner.
- n. A convex curve or arch cut in the edge of a sail to prevent chafing, or to secure a better fit.
- transitive v. To cause to arch.
- transitive v. To cut off, as a horse's mane, so that the part left shall stand upright.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A common cyprinoid fish of Europe, Leuciscus rutilus.
- n. In the United States, one of many different fishes like or mistaken for the roach, as some sunfish of the genus Lepomis or Pomotis;
- n. the spot or lafayette
- n. the American chub, Semotilus atromaculatus.
- n. A rock.
- n. Refuse gritty stone.
- To make hard like a rock.
- n. Nautical, a concave curve in the leech or foot of a square sail, to improve the fit of the sail.
- n. An upstanding curl or roll of hair over the forehead, like the roach of a sail.
- To cause to stand up or arch; make projecting or convex: as, his hair was roached up over his forehead.
- To cut short so as to cause to stand up straight; hog: said of horses' manes.
- n. A rash, or eruption on the skin.
- n. A cockroach.
- n. The redfin, Rutilus rutilus, a common European shiner or minnow of the family Cyprinidæ.
- n. In England, a shell limestone occurring at the top of the Portland Stone or Portlandian on the Isle of Portland.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. cut the mane off (a horse)
- n. a roll of hair brushed back from the forehead
- n. street names for flunitrazepan
- n. European freshwater food fish having a greenish back
- n. any of numerous chiefly nocturnal insects; some are domestic pests
- v. comb (hair) into a roach
- n. the butt of a marijuana cigarette
Middle English roche, from Old French roce, roche.
Origin unknown.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)