from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A European freshwater fish (Scardinius erythrophthalmus) related to the carp and having a brownish body and red fins.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A species of freshwater game fish (Scardinius erythropthalmus).
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A fresh-water European fish of the Carp family (Leuciscus erythrophthalmus). It is about the size and shape of the roach, but it has the dorsal fin farther back, a stouter body, and red irises. Called also redeye, roud, finscale, and shallow. A blue variety is called azurine, or blue roach.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Another spelling of rud.
- n. The redeye, a cyprinoid fish of Europe, Leuciscus or Scardinius erythrophthalmus.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. European freshwater fish resembling the roach
Probably from rud, red; see ruddle.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)