American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. Any of various freshwater fishes of the family Cyprinidae related to the carps and minnows, especially a Eurasian species, Leuciscus cephalus.
- n. Any of various North American fishes, such as a freshwater whitefish of the genus Coregonus or a marine fish of the genus Kyphosus.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. One who is short and plump; a chubby person.
- n. A jolt-head or clownish fellow.
- n. A name of various fishes The common name in England of the Leuciscus or Squalius cephalus, a fish of the family Cyprinidæ. It has a thick fusiform shape, broad blunt head, 2 rows of pharyngeal teeth, moderate-sized scales, and the dorsal and anal fins have generally each 11 rays. The head and back are greenishgray, grading into silvery on the sides and whitish on the belly. It reaches occasionally a weight of about 5 pounds, is common in European streams, and is a rather popular game-fish, although inferior as food.
- n. One of various species of freshwater fish of the Cyprinidae or carp family, especially:
- n. By extension, various vaguely related marine or freshwater fishes.
- n. A chubby, plump person
- n. slang A gay man.
- n. A plastic or other flexible package of meat, usually ground meat or luncheon meat.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. (Zoöl.) A species to fresh-water fish of the
Cyprinidæor Carp family. The common European species is Leuciscus cephalus; the cheven. In America the name is applied to various fishes of the same family, of the genera Semotilus, Squalius, Ceratichthys, etc., and locally to several very different fishes, as the tautog, black bass, etc.
- n. European freshwater game fish with a thick spindle-shaped body
- Back-formation from chubby. (Wiktionary)
- Middle English chubbe. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“Black bass (locally called chub) and white perch are very abundant, and at the proper season rock and herring enter the Sound in considerable numbers.”
“And there is in it a fish called chub, which they catch; but they do not eat it, for a certain sacred reason.”
“The chub is a soft fish, and tastes like boiled brown paper salted.”
“Davis guessed that the chub was some sort of groundhog - while a good guess, the chub is a fish that is now usually found further downstream in the Colorado River, although they once might have lived as far up as Glenwood Canyon.”
“The white fish -- a kind of chub -- was caught in the Yukon by the Yapik Eskimos and smoked at Acme Smoked Fish Corp, an old-fashioned, family-run business in Greenpoint, Brooklyn.”
“And, now, he sometimes brought home a fish or two from the deeper water down in the pasture lot; and no success in after life would ever bring to the man the same thrill of delight that was felt by the boy when he landed a tiny "chub" or "shiner.”
“Among others, I was much pleased to find a cat-fish, taken in the lake by one of the island fishermen, and also a kind of chub, not found in Switzerland, and called by the fishermen here “Our Lady's Fish,” because it occurs only on the shore of an island where there is a convent, the nuns of which esteem it a great delicacy.”
“Among others, I was much pleased to find a cat-fish, taken in the lake by one of the island fishermen, and also a kind of chub, not found in”
“The agency believes recent restorations have attracted more visitors to riverbanks and nearby parks, as well as leading to a reduction in antisocial behaviour, the return of fish such as chub and dace, and birdlife, such as kingfishers.”
“(pronounced "chub") but, officially as Headquarters and Headquarters Battery.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘chub’.
lots and lots of fish, a piscatorial
A list of common animal names. Keep the list to 1 syllable words.No scientific names. No proper names like 'Fluffy' the elephant.Insects and other creatures (even ficticious) are welcome!You can ...
Famous TV horses and their riders/owners. I was very into these as a child...
A list of words that WWF recognizes as valid - most are unusual words; some are simply high-scoring.
The new favourite words of people on Twitter.
A script searches Twitter for "X is my new favorite word" and adds it to this list.
unfathomably, glice, cuh, fab, ciggaty, doll, thuggin, oxymoronic, pineapple, succubutt, griming, cheeky and 3063 more...
A collection of words about doing the nasty.
Words from 2009 'Funny People' film.
Looking for tweets for chub.