from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Any of various freshwater fishes of the family Cyprinidae related to the carps and minnows, especially a Eurasian species, Leuciscus cephalus.
- n. Any of various North American fishes, such as a freshwater whitefish of the genus Coregonus or a marine fish of the genus Kyphosus.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. One of various species of freshwater fish of the Cyprinidae or carp family, especially:
- n. By extension, various vaguely related marine or freshwater fishes.
- n. A chubby, plump person
- n. A gay man.
- n. A plastic or other flexible package of meat, usually ground meat or luncheon meat.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A species to fresh-water fish of the Cyprinidæ or Carp family. The common European species is Leuciscus cephalus; the cheven. In America the name is applied to various fishes of the same family, of the genera Semotilus, Squalius, Ceratichthys, etc., and locally to several very different fishes, as the tautog, black bass, etc.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. One who is short and plump; a chubby person.
- n. A jolt-head or clownish fellow.
- n. A name of various fishes
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. European freshwater game fish with a thick spindle-shaped body
Middle English chubbe.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
Recorded since c.1450, from Middle English chubbe ("the river fish"), of unknown origin. (Wiktionary)
Back-formation from chubby. (Wiktionary)