American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Rounded and plump. See Synonyms at fat.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Round and plump.
- adj. Of a person, slightly overweight, somewhat fat and hence soft.
- adj. Of a body part, containing a moderate amount of fat.
- n. A chubby, plump person
- n. slang Especially a gay man.
- n. slang An erection of the penis.
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. Like a chub; plump, short, and thick.
- adj. sufficiently fat so as to have a pleasing fullness of figure
- recorded since 1611, from chub (short, thick fish species, used as bait), used metaphorically for "lazy person" since 1558; perhaps influenced by Old Norse kumba "log" and/or kumben "stumpy." (Wiktionary)
- Probably from chub (from the plumpness of the fish). (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“They use the word 'chubby' -- who are they referring to?”
““Or the shortest kid that people call ‘Stretch,’ or you call the chubby guy ‘Slim,’ or—””
“Growing up I was called chubby or “big-boned” by adults.”
“Hi Pille, chubby is definitely better if it means more chocolate huh!”
“Explaining why "Mr. Wonderful" was not turned off by her earlier physique, Ms. Voigt said that some men are what are called "chubby chasers.”
“She was a perfectly cherubic little girl that I affectionately called my chubby bunny.”
“I remember that half-size was code for what was called chubby teen and childrens clothing.”
“If I featured someone who was chubby would I be called a chubby chaser?”
“But what was interesting as part of the study, they also found that people who just have the perception of being heavy, someone who may just be called chubby, but, in fact, really isn't chubby, but just has that look of being chubby, they also get taunted very significantly, as well.”
“Fat people are discriminated in all parts of the world, they are called chubby, fat, big, smelly and all kinds of names.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘chubby’.
Interesting gene names. Some of these may have changed recently (to something less offensive/funny).
tinman, agnostic, dreadlocks, Van Gogh, fruitless, lava lamp, ariadne, cheap date, ken and barbie, I'm not dead yet, I'm not dead yet 2, manic fringe and 1192 more...
Describing appearance and physique. More quantitative than qualitative/comparative. Can be used to sum a person up one-wordedly. (Still working on the definition of what I want in this list.)
Words with the letter b within the word, not just as the initial or last letter.
"Fornication" is not equal to "formication".
Words with funny meaning, spelling or both.
Hopefully, I'll be using this site for more than one year. It will be fun then to look back and see what new words I found worthy of notice in any given year.
All words spotted in 2008...
Euphemisms for "penis". my inner 12 year old still finds them funny. suggestions welcome! i'm looking for single words only, 2 maximum. words that most people recognize and may also be used to desc...
a list of words that I know already, but have a strange attraction to.
Words from 2009 'The Invention of Lying' film.
Looking for tweets for chubby.