American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Short and fat.
- adj. Having a dull sound; lacking resonance.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Tubshaped; round like a tub or barrel.
- Having a sound like that of an empty tub when struck; sounding dull and without resonance: applied to stringed musical instruments.
- adj. stout, rotund
- adj. Resembling a tub; sounding dull and without resonance or freedom of sound.
- n. pejorative, slang An overweight person.
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. Resembling a tub; specifically sounding dull and without resonance, like a tub; wanting elasticity or freedom of sound.
- adj. short and plump
- From tub + -y. False cognate with chubby, even though they are often interchangeable. (Wiktionary)
“By calling you a teletubby was she infering that you were looking a little 'tubby' or just plain weird”
“She's rather dim and kind of tubby - undereducated and undersexed - and she displays a distressing affinity for mom jeans and sweaters covered in puffy paint and appliquéd kittens.”
“I've been thinking of something along similar lines - where men boys/guys/young males - whichever term suits best use terms such as tubby, d*ckhead as almost pet names in conversation with each other.”
“I know that he's the kind of tubby one that's, you know -- (CROSSTALK)”
“She was, like the rest of her kind, very "tubby," being as broad as the _Peacock_, though 10 feet shorter on deck.”
“The Egyptian striker always had to fight the 'tubby' tag at his former clubs Spurs and Middlesbrough - but he is on a mission to shed the pounds at Wigan.”
“According to Electric Pig, the new phone looks amazingly good, specially next to the iPhone and the BlackBerry Bold, making them look "tubby".”
“The man was described as aged between 20 and 30 years, around 5ft 11ins tall, of "tubby" build, with shoulder length, black hair.”
“Take your fear mongering, tubby Limbaugh and Mike Steele & go away. annie s”
“Every day when a lonely young scientist made his way to the tubby, he found a little fella who was cute and yella and chubby ... until one day he found existential angst instead.”
‘tubby’ hasn't been added to any lists yet.
Looking for tweets for tubby.