from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Extremely fat; grossly overweight. See Synonyms at fat.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Extremely overweight, especially: weighing more than 20% (for men) or 25% (for women) over their ideal weight determined by height and build; or, having a body mass index over 30 kg/m2.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Excessively corpulent; fat; fleshy.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Exceedingly corpulent; fat: fleshy.
- In entomology, very much larger than usual; appearing as if distended with food, as the abdomen of a meloë or oil-beetle.
- Specifically, of or pertaining to the Obesa.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. excessively fat
Latin obēsus, from past participle of *obedere, to eat away : ob-, away; see ob- + edere, to eat; see ed- in Indo-European roots.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
Latin obesus, derived from obedere ("to devour, eat away"), from ob ("away") + edere ("to eat") (Wiktionary)