American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Round or roundish; spherical or globular; rounded out; convexly protuberant; bulbous: as, a rotund paunch or figure.
- In botany and entomology, circumscribed by one unbroken curve, or without angles: as, a rotund leaf or wing.
- n. A rotunda.
- adj. Having a round or spherical shape; circular; orbicular.
- adj. Round in body shape; portly or plump; podgy.
- adj. of a sound Full and rich; orotund; sonorous; full-toned.
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. Round; circular; spherical.
- adj. Hence, complete; entire.
- adj. (Bot.) orbicular, or nearly so.
- n. obsolete A rotunda.
- adj. (of sounds) full and rich
- adj. spherical in shape
- adj. excessively fat
- From Latin rotundus ("round"), from Latin rota ("wheel"), from Proto-Indo-European *ret- (“to run, to roll”) . (Wiktionary)
- Latin rotundus. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“Rumor also has it that Bradley lured a certain rotund blogger to the Atlantic.”
“He was big -- I'd go a step further and say "rotund" -- and flamboyant.”
“And with new evidence supporting that these dinosaurs were more "rotund" than previously hypothesized, the image sticks in my mind of this little pig-bodied, parrot-beaked reptile, studiously pawing the Early Cretaceous subtropical regions that are now Western Siberia, in search of roots, tubers, or a place in the mud to cool off.”
“#18 - I liked the writing, didn't think it was "rotund".”
“The "rotund" man with the "violent temper [and] dictatorial, commanding attitude" toward the masseuse, acted like a "crazed sex poodle.”
“Isn't there quite a few "rotund" people in the Obama administration???”
“Geoffrey Godsell was a brilliant, bald, - and there is no other word for it - "rotund”
“Of a naturally "rotund" frame (think Andy Reid), Wolves fans are hoping that he will cut it at Premiership level.”
“He says of woman: I believe it to be true that she is very much less the race than man; that she is, indeed, not even half the race at present, but rather a part of it told specially off for the continuance of the species, just as truly as drones or male spiders are parts of their species told off for the performance of male-functions, or as 'rotund' honey ants are individual insects told off to act as living honey jars to the community.”
“A rotund white-haired man in a sweater and dress slacks adjusts a music stand on the left side of the large raised platform at the front of the chapel, and leads the congregation in a melody drawn from the green hymnals scattered throughout the pew backs.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘rotund’.
words for shape
( randomness, visual. descriptive )
A complete Barron's Wordlist for GRE preparation. Your online flashcard replacement.
Adjectives meaning circular
Words from the new GRE : This list consists mostly of words from the book Magoosh-GRE-vocab-ebook, which is one of the best vocab materials available, especially if you have started preparing one ...
Looking for tweets for rotund.