from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. An embankment or dike, especially in India.
- n. A street running along a harbor or waterway, especially in the Far East.
- n. An association, especially a political association.
- n. A pro-Nazi German-American organization of the 1930s.
- n. A European Jewish socialist movement founded in Russia in 1897.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. a league or confederacy; especially the confederation of German states.
- n. A secondary enclosure, typically consisting of a wall or berm, which surrounds a tank or fluid-handling mechanism, intended to contain any spills or leaks.
- v. To provide berms or other secondary enclosures to guard against accidental fluid spills within.
Hindi band, from Persian, from Middle Persian, from Avestan *banda-, from Old Iranian; see bhendh- in Indo-European roots.
German, from Middle High German bunt.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From German Bund ("alliance, league") (Wiktionary)
From Urdu band, from Persian (Wiktionary)