from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A circular building, especially one with a dome.
- n. A large area with a high ceiling, as in a hotel lobby.
- n. A large round room.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. a round building, usually small, often with a dome
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A round building; especially, one that is round both on the outside and inside, like the Pantheon at Rome. Less properly, but very commonly, used for a large round room.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A round building, especially one with a dome; any building that is round both outside and inside. The most celebrated edifice of this kind is the Pantheon at Rome. See cuts under octastyle and pantheon.
- n. A circular hall in a large building, generally surmounted by a dome: as, the rotunda of the Capitol in Washington.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a large circular room
- n. a building having a circular plan and a dome
Italian rotonda, from feminine of rotondo, round, from Latin rotundus; see rotund.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)