American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Likely to topple because of an uneven distribution of weight, with the majority being at the top.
- adj. Accounting Overcapitalized.
- adj. Having a disproportionately large number of administrators.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Having the top disproportionately heavy; over-weighted at the top.
- Figuratively, lacking fitness of proportions; liable to fall or fail.
- Drunk; tipsy.
- adj. having a high centre of gravity, and liable to topple
- adj. of an organization having an excessive number of administrators or managers
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. Having the top or upper part too heavy for the lower part.
- adj. unstable by being overloaded at the top
“It can happen to any culture, especially if it gets too wordy and top-heavy.”
“The flimsy top-heavy crowns on the inflated head of the now-concluded bubblicious sprawl, spread and squander epoch of America's experiment in elevating excess to the level of culture.”
“The conservative diagnosis for the Greek malaise is an inefficient “two-tier” top-heavy workforce, saddled with gluttonous underperforming bureaucrats, while younger workers are shut out of opportunities.”
“The city is somewhat top-heavy and should get rid of as many poor managers as possible.”
“The single currency will likely remain top-heavy in the near term as "the U.K. didn't join the deal and there were no signs of more aggressive buying of sovereign bonds by the European Central Bank," said Osao Iizuka, head of currency trading at Sumitomo Trust & Banking in Tokyo.”
“But you cannot suppress reality forever, and the strikes in Shanghai show that top-heavy gains eventually have consequences, even for those who make the rules.”
“English football has hardly been top-heavy with talented, homegrown left-wingers.”
“Our food, our money, and our rules have all been pushed steadily uphill, creating a top-heavy and imbalanced structure that we're only beginning to lash back at.”
“So yes the production may be so top-heavy as Sondheim demands and so grand in the follies style that it's always fighting an uphill battle for the intimacy the story demands.”
“Ultimately, he is a man who at times shows off, but generally camouflages an amazing -- if top-heavy -- physique.”
Looking for tweets for top-heavy.