American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- v. To put an end to; discontinue: The factory ceased production. See Synonyms at stop.
- v. To come to an end; stop: a process that never ceases.
- v. To stop performing an activity or action; desist: "fold our wings,/And cease from wanderings” ( Tennyson).
- n. Cessation; pause: We worked without cease to get the project finished on time.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To stop moving, acting, or speaking; leave off; give over; desist; come to rest: followed by from before a noun: as, cease from anger, labor, strife.
- To come to an end; terminate; become extinct; pass away: as, the wonder ceases; the storm has ceased.
- To put a stop to; put an end to; bring to an end: as, cease your clamor; he ceased debate.
- n. Cessation; extinction; failure.
GNU Webster's 1913
- v. To come to an end; to stop; to leave off or give over; to desist.
- v. To be wanting; to fail; to pass away.
- v. To put a stop to; to bring to an end.
- n. obsolete Extinction.
- n. (`cease' is a noun only in the phrase `without cease') end
- v. put an end to a state or an activity
- v. have an end, in a temporal, spatial, or quantitative sense; either spatial or metaphorical
- from Middle English cesen, cessen, from Middle French cesser ("to cease, blin"), from Latin cessō ("leave off"), frequentative of cēdō ("to leave off, go away"). (Wiktionary)
- Middle English cesen, from Old French cesser, from Latin cessāre, to stop, frequentative of cēdere, to yield; see ked- in Indo-European roots. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“Bellow is from John Newton (ex slave trader and guy who wrote amazing grace) read 227-252 "Thoughts on the slave trade" books. google.com "I verily believe, that the far greater part of the wars, in Africa, would cease, if the Europeans would cease to tempt them, by offering goods for slaves" Sorry I couldn't fit the whole thing on the descriptions box.”
“Thoughts on the slave trade" books. google.com "I verily believe, that the far greater part of the wars, in Africa, would cease, if the Europeans would cease to tempt them, by offering goods for slaves" Sorry I couldn't fit the whole thing on the descriptions box.”
“Accordingly, the virtues of this consequential kind cease to oblige, when the circumstances that found the obligation cease* Hence, it sometimes happens, these duties annihilate one another.”
“III. i.7 (394,1) That things might change, or cease: tears his white hair] The first folio ends the speech at _change, or cease_, and begins again with Kent's question, _But who is with him?”
“VIEW FAVORITES yahooBuzzArticleHeadline = 'Tzipi Livni to Newsweek: \'Israel Is Not Going to Show Restraint\' '; yahooBuzzArticleSummary =' Livni: I don\'t like the term cease-fire since it looks like an agreement between two legitimate sides.”
“Livni: I don't like the term cease-fire since it looks like an agreement between two legitimate sides.”
“The argument runs that because the word cease is different from come to an end, it means tongues will stop at an earlier date, that is, when the New Testament is complete.”
“MANN: Now, for the record, Hamas is observing what it calls a cease-fire, but it refuses to renounce violence.”
“I don't think they used the term 'cease and desist,' " Mr. DiFeliciantonio said, "although they may have used the word 'desist.”
“In a few short months, all battleships on all seas will be destroyed or flung to the scrap-heap, and all nations shall disarm; fortresses shall be dismantled, armies disbanded, and warfare shall cease from the earth.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘cease’.
Use these and get promoted
Protagonists and relevant words in the Book of Creation (Source: King James Bible)
All words of the Lisbon Treaty
(Persons' names, foreign and grammatical words have been eliminated, MWEs have been split up into individual words. Capitalization has been retained if r...
(Given Saturday, March 4, 1865, Washington, D.C.)
At this second appearing to take the oath of the Presidential office there is less occasion for an extended a...
with all nations, among ourselves, a just and lastin..., cherish, achieve, to do all, for his widow and..., to care for him w..., to bind up the na..., let us strive on ..., with firmness in ..., with charity for all and 169 more...
Very basic words for ESL students.
short, sweet, epic, catchy, sassy, sexy & sizzling.
( personal list, randomness )
Looking for tweets for cease.