from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- intransitive v. To pass out of sight; vanish.
- intransitive v. To cease to exist.
- transitive v. To cause (someone) to disappear, especially by kidnapping or murder.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. To vanish.
- v. To make vanish.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- intransitive v. To cease to appear or to be perceived; to pass from view, gradually or suddenly; to vanish; to be no longer seen
- intransitive v. To cease to be or exist.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To vanish from or pass out of sight; recede from view; cease to appear; be no longer seen.
- To pass out of existence or out of knowledge; cease to exist or to be known: as, the epidemic has disappeared.
- To end somewhat gradually or without abrupt termination: as, the path disappeared in the depths of the forest; in entomology, a line on the wing disappearing at the subcostal vein.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. get lost, as without warning or explanation
- v. become invisible or unnoticeable
- v. become less intense and fade away gradually
- v. cease to exist
The sound track said: _Watch closely now - watch closely - they come up and disappear - they come up and disappear - come up and disappear_ - There were not nearly so many men at the table now, only two or three now and they were watching so closely that they had not even noticed the others disappear.
Make the label disappear in a fun way to boot, and the food becomes a zero.
Their designer wanted only the description to appear in the infotip, and now they know that they need to shorten the program name to make the name disappear from the infotip.
Awarded a stage maximum for the Clocaenog test, Godshill-based Nicholls and co-driver Nick Broom were devastated at seeing the title disappear after winning three rounds during the summer and taking maximum points on a fourth.
But I’ll still be happy to see Sarah Palin disappear from the cultural scene when it’s all over and done.
Well no, he's not broken, I just made the Network Manager disappear from the panel and I can't seem to get it back.
Why did the £16.3 trillion disappear from the report?
Following passage of Obamacare in late January to early February, the topic will largely disappear from the mainstream media, except perhaps for a few human interest stories lambasting some big insurance companies.
I believe you should save a copy of the job description since they aften disappear from the website by the time you interview.
The War in the Pacific could disappear from the hometown newspapers and the news reels for weeks at a time.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.