American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- v. To pass out of sight; vanish.
- v. To cease to exist.
- v. To cause (someone) to disappear, especially by kidnapping or murder.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To vanish from or pass out of sight; recede from view; cease to appear; be no longer seen.
- To pass out of existence or out of knowledge; cease to exist or to be known: as, the epidemic has disappeared.
- To end somewhat gradually or without abrupt termination: as, the path disappeared in the depths of the forest; in entomology, a line on the wing disappearing at the subcostal vein.
GNU Webster's 1913
- v. To cease to appear or to be perceived; to pass from view, gradually or suddenly; to vanish; to be no longer seen
- v. To cease to be or exist.
- v. get lost, as without warning or explanation
- v. become invisible or unnoticeable
- v. become less intense and fade away gradually
- v. cease to exist
- dis- + appear (Wiktionary)
“The sound track said: _Watch closely now - watch closely - they come up and disappear - they come up and disappear - come up and disappear_ - There were not nearly so many men at the table now, only two or three now and they were watching so closely that they had not even noticed the others disappear.”
“Make the label disappear in a fun way to boot, and the food becomes a zero.”
“Their designer wanted only the description to appear in the infotip, and now they know that they need to shorten the program name to make the name disappear from the infotip.”
“Awarded a stage maximum for the Clocaenog test, Godshill-based Nicholls and co-driver Nick Broom were devastated at seeing the title disappear after winning three rounds during the summer and taking maximum points on a fourth.”
“But I’ll still be happy to see Sarah Palin disappear from the cultural scene when it’s all over and done.”
“Well no, he's not broken, I just made the Network Manager disappear from the panel and I can't seem to get it back.”
“Why did the £16.3 trillion disappear from the report?”
“Following passage of Obamacare in late January to early February, the topic will largely disappear from the mainstream media, except perhaps for a few human interest stories lambasting some big insurance companies.”
“I believe you should save a copy of the job description since they aften disappear from the website by the time you interview.”
“The War in the Pacific could disappear from the hometown newspapers and the news reels for weeks at a time.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘disappear’.
This is Ghost List 2 ( the kind that go 'boo!' ) :P
( open list )
it bothers me when i hear someone who have experienced something life changing use the phrase: now i appreciate the little things. I DON'T BELIEVE THERE ARE ANY LITTLE THINGS. everything is EXTRAOR...
The new favourite words of people on Twitter.
A script searches Twitter for "X is my new favourite word" and adds it to this list.
bumwank, calamity, recalcitrant, gayenese, jeeze, nonsense, flabbergasted, juxtapose, procrastinating, ossanity, biffing, loser and 1972 more...
Very basic words for ESL students.
Listening to this as an audio book for the second time. Tim O'Brien uses simple words and phrases to great effect. Very few unfamilar and big words . The writing style reminds me of words from Joh...
By the Pogues, on the LP "Peace and Love." I don't know if it's the stark simplicity of the individual words or the evocative images conjured by their juxtaposition, but I simply love these lyrics....
Looking for tweets for disappear.