American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. One that conducts an auction.
- v. To sell at auction.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. One whose business is to offer goods or property for sale by auction; the crier who calls for bids and strikes the bargain at an auction; a person licensed to dispose of goods or property by public sale to the highest bidder.
- To sell by auction.
- n. A person who conducts an auction on behalf of a vendor, taking bids to find the best price for the vendor.
- v. transitive To sell at an auction; to auction.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. A person who sells by auction; a person whose business it is to dispose of goods or lands by public sale to the highest or best bidder.
- v. To sell by auction; to auction.
- n. an agent who conducts an auction
- v. sell at an auction
- From auction + -eer (Wiktionary)
“Ring announcer Bruce Buffer, who has a disturbing baby face with the high pompadour of an auctioneer from the cattle lots in Oklahoma, steps into the octagon to introduce the card.”
“The auctioneer is amazing, like something out of a Tex Avery cartoon, motormouthing a mile a minute.”
“Mark Jaffe, the Fort York auctioneer, is a gifted motormouth who runs his tongue 95mph with wit and wild abandon.”
“We put 'em into Joe Stevenson's hands to sell -- that was what every one called the auctioneer -- and walked down the long street.”
“The attitude of collectors, according to Tom Eden of London coin auctioneer Morton & Eden, is "with little return on investments, what's wrong with putting money into your hobby?”
“She is the daughter of a livestock auctioneer, which is an appropriate background.”
“I'm beginning to wonder if our auctioneer is the only person left on the planet who calls Master-Card by the old "Master-Charge.”
“But you talked earlier about how it was kind of like a circus and the auctioneer was the ...”
“And here, " called the auctioneer, -we have one of the cathces of Kliomenes, taken near Lara.”
“The auctioneer was a tested man, Mike Garmisch of Fort Collins.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘auctioneer’.
Words only (I left out the expressions) from Geza Kerenyi's EN-HU interpreters' dictionary. Most of them pose some difficulty when interpreted between HU and EN in either or both directions.
States of being
Looking for tweets for auctioneer.