from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. First in status or importance; principal or chief: an architect of premier rank.
- adj. First to occur or exist; earliest.
- n. A prime minister.
- n. A chief administrative officer, as of a Canadian province.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Foremost; first or highest in quality or degree.
- n. The leader of the government in parliament and leader of the cabinet.
- n. The government leader in a legislative congress or leader of a government-level administrative body; the head of government.
- n. The first lieutenant or other second-in-command officer of a ship.
- v. To perform, display or exhibit for the first time.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. First; chief; principal
- adj. Most ancient; -- said of the peer bearing the oldest title of his degree.
- n. The first minister of state; the prime minister.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- First in importance; chief.
- First in time; earliest in appearance or occurrence; specifically, in the English peerage, first in the order of precedence, which is now the order of date of creation.
- n. The first minister of state; the prime or premier minister.
- To govern as premier; serve as prime minister.
- n. In roulette, a bet that one of the numbers from 1 to 12 inclusive will win.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. be performed for the first time
- n. the person who holds the position of head of the government in the United Kingdom
- adj. preceding all others in time
- adj. first in rank or degree
- n. the person who is head of state (in several countries)
- v. perform a work for the first time
Middle English primier, from Old French, from Latin prīmārius, from prīmus, first; see per1 in Indo-European roots.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Middle French premier (as an adjective), from Latin primarius (prīmārius). (Wiktionary)