American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adv. In the highest position, place, or rank: finished uppermost in the standings; the uppermost balcony.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Highest in place; first in precedence: as, the uppermost seats.
- Highest in power; predominant; most powerful; first in force or strength.
- In the highest position or place; also, first in a series or in order of time.
- First in order of precedence.
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. Highest in place, position, rank, power, or the like; upmost; supreme.
- adv. in or into the highest position
- adv. in or into the most prominent position, as in the mind
- adj. at or nearest to the top
- upper + -most (Wiktionary)
“The conclusion that three dice were deliberately placed with six uppermost is then a personal, not a statistical conclusion.”
“The necessity of replacing the monk by the schoolmaster was recognized, but not the necessity of replacing the nun by the schoolmistress; the purely physical and reproductive idea of woman being once again uppermost, the need for training her mind no longer existed.”
“Preconceived idea again uppermost, he took literally many of her sallies and allusions to her husband, which were purposely Brobdignagian in their dimensions.”
“And so for the day, and without mention of the name uppermost in the thoughts of each, the two had parted -- for the first time as friends.”
“Two portable millstones are used for the purpose, of which the uppermost is turned by a small wooden handle, and during the operation the maid sits behind the mill.”
“If by uppermost he meant right beside his constant scheming to restore his treacherous family to the wealth and power they had squandered in disloyalty, then I suppose he spoke truly enough.”
“Protection" seems to be a word uppermost in this anti-democrats mind at the moment:”
“With regard to the construction of bones, the bones and joints of the fingers are simple, the bones of the hand and foot are numerous, and articulated in various ways; the uppermost are the largest; the heel consists of one bone which is seen to project outward, and the back tendons are attached to it.”
“Ah, Gawtrey, I am not too proud for charity, but I am for -- "He checked the word uppermost in his thoughts, and resumed --”
“The continued transformation of the judiciary was identified as uppermost in our agenda of creating a peaceful and stable SA.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘uppermost’.
Protagonists and relevant words in the Book of Creation (Source: King James Bible)
Words I like
Looking for tweets for uppermost.