from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Most distant in degree, time, or space: That's the furthest thing from my mind. They explored the furthest reaches of space.
- adv. To the greatest extent or degree: went the furthest of all the children in her education.
- adv. At or to the most distant point in space or time: He swam the furthest.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. superlative form of far: most far. A synonym of farthest.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. superl. Most remote; most in advance; farthest. See further, a.
- adv. At the greatest distance; farthest.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Superlative of far.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adv. to the greatest distance in space or time (`farthest' is used more often than `furthest' in this physical sense)
- adj. (comparatives of `far') most remote in space or time or order
- adv. to the greatest degree or extent or most advanced stage (`furthest' is used more often than `farthest' in this abstract sense)
After being wrong on WMD's, Nukes and Al Queda links to Iraq – all of which were found to be wrong and furthest from the truth.
Brydon placed Shevyn on a cushioned settee in the antechamber furthest from the door.
Atto hovers at the end of the bar furthest from the dance floor.
The fire will be positioned in the corner furthest from the stairs, so all the heat on its way up will have to pass over me.
The heathland (vera) which forms a narrow ecotone between the dunes and the marsh and also covers the land furthest from the Guadalquiver, is a series of low ridges and hollows.
Neither at St. Katharinenthal nor at Unterlinden do we know the exact location of such a room, but generally these activities took place in the west range of the cloister, furthest from the choir and chapterhouse. 108 The Sister-Books make reference to the werkhaus, werkhuss, or werkgaden.
Being a success in terms of sales has more to do with those furthest from the creative endeavor.
The lousiest and most ignorant commentary is to be found from those who are furthest from the day to day issues facing Israelis, inhabiting think tanks where the last thing they do is serious and honest thinking. bitterpill8
Try arranging the peppers with the green ones furthest from the fire, the red and yellow ones closer.
We have no further details of the incident or of the craft involved, which could have been a Combat Support Boat (pictured top left) or a Rigid Raider (below right, furthest from the ship), both of which are used routinely by the Army to carry out patrols of the waterway, which borders with Iran and is a major route of oil and arms smuggling.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.