from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Of, relating to, or located on the right.
- adj. Relating to, designed for, or done with the right hand.
- adj. Most helpful or reliable: my right-hand assistant.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. of, relating to, or located on the right
- adj. designed for use by the right hand
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Situated or being on the right; nearer the right hand than the left.
- adj. Chiefly relied on; almost indispensable.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Belonging or adapted to the right hand.
- Situated on the right hand, or in a direction from the right side; leading to the right: as, a right-hand road.
- Serving as a right hand; hence, foremost in usefulness; of greatest service as an assistant.
- Noting an engine in which the shaft that carries the fly-wheel is at the right hand of the observer as he stands at the head end of the cylinder looking toward the shaft: the reverse of left-hand. Also, one in which the observer, looking along the axis of the shaft from the crank end, finds the cylinder and its mechanism on his right.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. most helpful and reliable
- adj. located on or directed toward the right
- adj. intended for the right hand
Sorry, no etymologies found.