from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Using the right hand more skillfully or easily than the left.
- adj. Sports Swinging from the right to the left: a right-handed batter.
- adj. Done with the right hand.
- adj. Intended for wear on or use by the right hand: a right-handed pair of scissors.
- adj. Turning or spiraling from left to right; clockwise.
- adj. Rotating clockwise; dextrorotatory.
- adv. With the right hand.
- adv. Sports From right to left: swings right-handed.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Of one who uses their right hand in preference to, or more skillfully than their left.
- adj. Intended to be worn on, or used by the right hand.
- adj. Turning or spiralling from left to right; clockwise.
- adj. Of a particle for which the direction of its spin is the same as the direction of its motion.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Using the right hand habitually, or more easily than the left.
- adj. Having the same direction or course as the movement of the hands of a watch seen in front; -- said of the motion of a revolving object looked at from a given direction.
- adj. Having the whorls rising from left to right; dextral; -- said of spiral shells. See Illust. of Scalaria.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Using the right hand more easily and readily than the left. See dexterous.
- Turning so as to pass from above or in front to the right hand; clockwise: thus, an ordinary screw is driven in by a right-handed rotation; specifically, in conchology, dextral, as the spiral shell of a univalve (see cut under purpura).
- In botany, of twining plants or circumnutating parts, properly, rising or advancing in the direction of a right-handed screw or spiral, or that of the hands of a watch.
- Laid from left to right, as the strands of a rope.
- Executed by the right hand.
- On the right side; of a favorable, convenient, or easily pardoned character.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. rotating to the right
- adj. using or intended for the right hand
Sorry, no etymologies found.