from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Using the left hand more skillfully or easily than the right.
- adj. Sports Swinging from left to right: a left-handed batter; a left-handed golfer.
- adj. Done with the left hand.
- adj. Intended for wear on or use by the left hand: left-handed scissors.
- adj. Awkward; maladroit.
- adj. Of doubtful sincerity; dubious: left-handed flattery; a left-handed compliment.
- adj. Of, relating to, or born of a morganatic marriage.
- adj. Turning or spiraling from right to left; counterclockwise.
- adj. Rotating counterclockwise; levorotatory.
- adv. With the left hand.
- adv. Sports From the left to the right: swings left-handed.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Of or pertaining to one who uses his or her left hand in preference to, or more skillfully than, his or her right.
- adj. Intended to be worn on, or used by, the left hand.
- adj. Turning or spiraling from right to left; anticlockwise.
- adj. Awkward or maladroit.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Having the left hand or arm stronger and more dexterous than the right; using the left hand and arm with more dexterity than the right.
- adj. Clumsy; awkward; unlucky; insincere; sinister; malicious.
- adj. Having a direction contrary to that of the hands of a watch when seen in front; -- said of a twist, a rotary motion, etc., looked at from a given direction.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Having the left hand or arm stronger and more capable of being used with facility than the right; using the left hand and arm in preference to the right.
- Characterized by direction or position toward the left hand; moving from right to left: as, a left-handed quartz crystal (one which rotates the plane of polarization to the left). See levogyrate and polarization.
- Clumsy; awkward; inexpert; unskilful.
- Insincere; sinister; malicious.
- Unlucky; inauspicious.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. ironically ambiguous
- adj. lacking physical movement skills, especially with the hands
- adj. rotating to the left
- adj. (of marriages) of a marriage between one of royal or noble birth and one of lower rank; valid but with the understanding that the rank of the inferior remains unchanged and offspring do not succeed to titles or property of the superior
- adj. using or intended for the left hand
- adj. (of marriages) illicit or informal
Sorry, no etymologies found.