from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adv. In a direction opposite to the rotating hands of a clock.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adv. In the direction of rotation opposite from clockwise.
- adj. Moving or located in the direction of rotation opposite from clockwise
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. in the opposite direction to that in which the hands of a clock rotate, as viewed from in front of the clock face; -- of rotatory motion or spiral direction. Opposite of
clockwise, or right-handed
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Contrary to the direction of rotation of the hands of a clock: frequently used in physics to define the direction of rotation: as, the amperian currents about the north-pointing pole of a magnet are counter-clockwise.
- In a direction contrary to that of the movement of the hands of a clock.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adv. in a direction opposite to the direction in which the hands of a clock move
- adj. in the direction opposite to the rotation of the hands of a clock
Thing is, they’re running counterclockwise, which is the same way I’m going.
"Emily: Not to derail this thread, but what do you mean" counterclockwise "?
The car spun counterclockwise, slid down the track, and careened wildly across the infield grass, bringing out a caution flag that froze the field.
Instantly the mouse began running in counterclockwise circles as if hell-bent on winning a murine Olympics.
In the case of the counterclockwise mouse, the optogenetic stimulation overrode what the mouse was doing on its own.
The counterclockwise mouse was something new—a triple fusion of animal, plant, and technology—and the students knew it was a harbinger of unprecedentedly powerful ways to alter brain activity.
The bear attempted to circle right, pushing the wolf counterclockwise, away from me.
My roommate and I are making an “Om Mani Padme Hung” hoop to be used counterclockwise ONLY as a prayer wheel!
Repeat with your foot moving in a counterclockwise direction.
Once the pilgrims have ritually cleansed and incanted, they circle the cage counterclockwise, reaching over each other to feel its metal lattice and lunging forward to let their lips linger on the Arabic lettering at its corners.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.