from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adv. In a direction opposite to the rotating hands of a clock.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adv. In the direction of rotation opposite from clockwise.
- adj. Moving or located in the direction of rotation opposite from clockwise
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. in the opposite direction to that in which the hands of a clock rotate, as viewed from in front of the clock face; -- of rotatory motion or spiral direction. Opposite of
clockwise, or right-handed
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Contrary to the direction of rotation of the hands of a clock: frequently used in physics to define the direction of rotation: as, the amperian currents about the north-pointing pole of a magnet are counter-clockwise.
- In a direction contrary to that of the movement of the hands of a clock.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adv. in a direction opposite to the direction in which the hands of a clock move
- adj. in the direction opposite to the rotation of the hands of a clock
counter- + clock + -wise (Wiktionary)