from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A usually thin nut screwed down on another nut to prevent it from loosening.
- n. A self-locking nut.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A second nut, screwed down onto another in order to prevent it slipping
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. See Check nut, under Check.
- n. a supplementary nut that is screwed down on a primary nut to prevent it from loosening; a check nut.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A supplementary nut screwed down upon another to prevent it from shaking loose; a jam-nut, check-nut, or pinch-nut.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. supplementary nut that is screwed down on a primary nut to prevent it from loosening
Sorry, no etymologies found.