American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Of or facing the left side.
- adj. Left-handed.
- adj. Zoology Relating to or being a gastropod shell that has its aperture to the left when facing the observer with the apex upward.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Of or pertaining to the left side; situated on the left hand; not dextral; sinister; sinistrous.
- In conchology, reversed from the usual, right, or dextral curve, as the whorls of a spiral shell; whorled toward the left; sinistrorse; heterostrophous. The genus Physa is an example. Some species, genera, etc., of shells are normally sinistral. In some other cases specimens of shell are sinistral as an individual peculiarity, as in the case cited under chank. See cuts under
- In ichthyology, having both eyes on the left side of the head, as certain flatfishes.
- Sinister; wrong.
- adj. Of, facing, or on the left side.
- adj. Left-handed.
- adj. zoology Having the whorls of the spire revolving or rising to the left; reversed; -- said of certain spiral shells.
- adj. geology left lateral fault movement.
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. Of or pertaining to the left, inclining to the left; sinistrous; -- opposed to
- adj. (Zoöl.) Having the whorls of the spire revolving or rising to the left; reversed; -- said of certain spiral shells.
- adj. preferring to use left foot or hand or eye
- adj. of or on the left
“So Dave your task as a fellow sinistral shooter is to check out the new Ruger lefty line up at the Shot Show next week and report back on anythng sexy you find (including booth babes).”
“The Halloween zombie snail with its sinistral shell is indeed amusing.”
“Even as a sinistral I found this quite a struggle.”
“And so it was that he left hearth and sinistral home; lord idiot father and princess thief mother, with no word, and so also Pandia, daughter of Hippodamia, that white-fire striking heated beauty, sat all unknowing like a dwarf in the sand, or a hippo/horse with five hearts and a dung heap for a pillow, of her lover's fate.”
“Being one who is sinistral in the manipulation of firearms and other worldly devices, I have depended on Savage rifles for quite some time.”
“As its name implies and the above picture shows, B. sinistrum is a left-handed or sinistral species.”
“Therefore, an aberrant individual with a tall sinistral shell among tall-shelled dextral conspecifics is more likely to be able to mate and leave offspring than one with a wide sinistral shell among wide-shelled dextral conspecifics.”
“The evolutionary result of this is that sinistral species or closely related species with oppositely coiled shells are more common among tall-shelled lineages than among wide-shelled ones.”
“A sinistral snail, on the other hand, would have its genital opening on the left side of its head.”
“When Gharib heard this, he also took to horse and, calling his people to the combat, rode out, with the jinn on his dexter hand and the men on his sinistral.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘sinistral’.
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
These words either descend from a word or root referring to the left side or direction (e.g., “sinister”) or refer to the concept themselves. Many, but not all, have negative connotations.
cool mint antiseptic
Words taken from Infinite Jest by David Foster Wallace.
Words I like to use, words I like but may forget.
Words I like!
( personal list, favorite words, randomness )
This list is a dumping/sorting ground. Maybe I'll get around to categorising these words, or not.
Well, wrap me in a looroll and call me Mummy!
‘tis the time for ‘ID the ‘nik!’
To quote bilby, who organised it last time round:
“Many thanks to the wondrous efforts of uselessnes...
Looking for tweets for sinistral.