from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Being or situated at right angles to the horizon; upright.
- adj. Situated at the vertex or highest point; directly overhead.
- adj. Anatomy Of or relating to the vertex of the head.
- adj. Economics Relating to or involving all stages from production to sale: vertical integration.
- adj. Relating to or composed of elements at different levels, as of society.
- n. Something vertical, as a line, plane, or circle.
- n. A vertical position.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A vertex or zenith.
- n. A vertical geometrical figure; a perpendicular.
- n. An individual slat in a set of vertical blinds.
- n. A vertical component of a structure.
- adj. Along the direction of a plumbline or along a straight line that includes the center of the Earth.
- adj. In a two dimensional Cartesian co-ordinate system, describing the axis oriented normal (perpendicular, at right angles) to the horizontal axis.
- adj. Of or pertaining to vertical markets.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Of or pertaining to the vertex; situated at the vertex, or highest point; directly overhead, or in the zenith; perpendicularly above one.
- adj. Perpendicular to the plane of the horizon; upright; plumb.
- n. Vertical position; zenith.
- n. A vertical line, plane, or circle.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Of or relating to the vertex; situated at the vertex, apex, or highest point; placed in the zenith, or point in the heavens directly overhead; figuratively, occupying the highest place.
- Specifically, being in a position or direction perpendicular to the plane of the horizon; upright; plumb.
- In medicine, of or relating to the vertex, or crown of the head.
- In zoology and anatomy: Pertaining to or placed on the vertex, or crown of the head; sincipital; coronal: as, vertical stemmata of an insect; vertical eyes of a fish; the vertical crest of some birds is horizontal when not erected.
- Placed or directed upward or downward; upright or downright; being at right angles with an (actual or assumed) horizon.
- See circle.
- In conic sections, a plane passing through the vertex of a cone and through its axis.
- In perspective, a plane perpendicular to the geometrical plane, passing through the eye, and cutting the perspective plane at right angles.
- n. A vertical circle, plane, or line.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. something that is oriented vertically
- adj. upright in position or posture
- n. a vertical structural member as a post or stake
- adj. relating to or involving all stages of a business from production to distribution
- adj. of or relating to different levels in a hierarchy (as levels of social class or income group)
- adj. at right angles to the plane of the horizon or a base line
Late Latin verticālis, overhead, from Latin vertex, vertic-, highest point; see vertex.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)