from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Being or situated at right angles to the horizon; upright.
- adj. Situated at the vertex or highest point; directly overhead.
- adj. Anatomy Of or relating to the vertex of the head.
- adj. Economics Relating to or involving all stages from production to sale: vertical integration.
- adj. Relating to or composed of elements at different levels, as of society.
- n. Something vertical, as a line, plane, or circle.
- n. A vertical position.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A vertex or zenith.
- n. A vertical geometrical figure; a perpendicular.
- n. An individual slat in a set of vertical blinds.
- n. A vertical component of a structure.
- adj. Along the direction of a plumbline or along a straight line that includes the center of the Earth.
- adj. In a two dimensional Cartesian co-ordinate system, describing the axis oriented normal (perpendicular, at right angles) to the horizontal axis.
- adj. Of or pertaining to vertical markets.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Of or pertaining to the vertex; situated at the vertex, or highest point; directly overhead, or in the zenith; perpendicularly above one.
- adj. Perpendicular to the plane of the horizon; upright; plumb.
- n. Vertical position; zenith.
- n. A vertical line, plane, or circle.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Of or relating to the vertex; situated at the vertex, apex, or highest point; placed in the zenith, or point in the heavens directly overhead; figuratively, occupying the highest place.
- Specifically, being in a position or direction perpendicular to the plane of the horizon; upright; plumb.
- In medicine, of or relating to the vertex, or crown of the head.
- In zoology and anatomy: Pertaining to or placed on the vertex, or crown of the head; sincipital; coronal: as, vertical stemmata of an insect; vertical eyes of a fish; the vertical crest of some birds is horizontal when not erected.
- Placed or directed upward or downward; upright or downright; being at right angles with an (actual or assumed) horizon.
- See circle.
- In conic sections, a plane passing through the vertex of a cone and through its axis.
- In perspective, a plane perpendicular to the geometrical plane, passing through the eye, and cutting the perspective plane at right angles.
- n. A vertical circle, plane, or line.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. something that is oriented vertically
- adj. upright in position or posture
- n. a vertical structural member as a post or stake
- adj. relating to or involving all stages of a business from production to distribution
- adj. of or relating to different levels in a hierarchy (as levels of social class or income group)
- adj. at right angles to the plane of the horizon or a base line
I can't seem to rotate the label vertical, it appears to reference the objects rotation.
(On the whole, for document work, the vertical is the key statistic.)
So he proposes that crops should be grown in skyscrapers, which he calls vertical farms.
MITTERMEIER: They're what you call vertical clingers and leapers.
UNIDENTIFIED MALE: They're what you call vertical clingers and leapers.
They are what you call vertical clingers and leapers.
We were applying what we called vertical internship, starting with the 6th year. following which specialization started, to cover our needs in orthopedics and other specialties.
To support these markets, the company employs what it calls vertical market makers, people who specialize in various types of salvage goods and who are responsible for making sure that sellers provide all the information that potential buyers will require.
So there's a lot of things we do that I'm still learning about, because they're very interesting from an internet perspective, but they're actually really interesting from what I call a vertical traditional perspective of how we can tie all these values together.
The difficulty is this: we come to Mass primarily to adore God - what we call the vertical dimension.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.