from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Of, relating to, or resembling a line; straight.
- adj. In, of, describing, described by, or related to a straight line.
- adj. Having only one dimension.
- adj. Characterized by, composed of, or emphasizing drawn lines rather than painterly effects.
- adj. Botany Narrow and elongated with nearly parallel margins: a linear leaf.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Having the form of a line; straight.
- adj. Of or relating to lines.
- adj. Made in a step-by-step, logical manner.
- adj. Long and narrow, with nearly parallel sides.
- adj. Of or relating to a class of polynomial of the form .
- adj. A type of length measurement involving only one spatial dimension (as opposed to area or volume).
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Of or pertaining to a line; consisting of lines; in a straight direction; lineal.
- adj. Like a line; narrow; of the same breadth throughout, except at the extremities.
- adj. Thinking in a step-by-step analytical and logical fashion; contrasted with
holistic, i.e. thinking in terms of complex interrelated patterns.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Of or pertaining to a line or lines; composed or consisting of lines: as, linear drawing; linear perspective.
- Relating to length only; specifically, in mathematics and physics, involving measurement in one dimension only, or a sum of such measurements; involving only straight lines; unidimensional; of the first degree: as, linear numbers; linear measure.
- In bot., zoöl, and anatomy, like a line or thread; slender; very narrow and elongate: as, a linear leaf.
- In prosody, consisting in or pertaining to a succession of single verses all of the same rhythm and length; stichic: as, linear composition; “Paradise Lost” is linear in composition.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. measured lengthwise
- adj. designating or involving an equation whose terms are of the first degree
- adj. of or in or along or relating to a line; involving a single dimension
- adj. (of a leaf shape) long and narrow
- adj. of a circuit or device having an output that is proportional to the input
Latin līneāris, from līnea, line; see line1.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Latin linearis, from linea ("line") + -aris (adjectival suffix). (Wiktionary)