from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Mathematics Of, relating to, or containing quantities of the second degree.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. square-shaped
- adj. of a polynomial, involving the second power (square) of a variable but no higher powers, as .
- adj. of an equation, of the form .
- adj. of a function, of the form .
- n. A quadratic polynomial, function or equation.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Of or pertaining to a square, or to squares; resembling a quadrate, or square; square.
- adj. Tetragonal.
- adj. Pertaining to terms of the second degree.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- In algebra, involving the square and no higher power of the unknown quantity or variable of the second degree; of two dimensions.
- In crystallography, tetragonal or dimetric: applied to the system that includes the square prism and related forms. See crystallography.
- n. In algebra, an equation in which the highest power of the unknown quantity is the second, the general form being
- n. plural That branch of algebra which treats of quadratic equations.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a polynomial of the second degree
- n. an equation in which the highest power of an unknown quantity is a square
- adj. of or relating to the second power
- adj. of or relating to or resembling a square
From quadrate.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
Confer French quadratique. (Wiktionary)