from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Of, relating to, or consisting of a maximum.
- adj. Being the greatest or highest possible.
- n. Mathematics An element in an ordered set that is followed by no other.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Largest, greatest (in magnitude), highest, most.
- n. The element of a set with the greatest magnitude.
- n. Said of an ideal of a ring or a filter of a lattice: that it is as large as it can be without being trivial (improper).
- n. Said of a set of well-formed formulas: that it is as large as it can be without being inconsistent; i.e., that for any wff φ, the set contains either φ or ~φ.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Of the highest or maximum value, etc.; being a maximum.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. the greatest or most complete or best possible
maximum + -al (Wiktionary)