from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Of, relating to, or consisting of a maximum.
- adj. Being the greatest or highest possible.
- n. Mathematics An element in an ordered set that is followed by no other.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Largest, greatest (in magnitude), highest, most.
- n. The element of a set with the greatest magnitude.
- n. Said of an ideal of a ring or a filter of a lattice: that it is as large as it can be without being trivial (improper).
- n. Said of a set of well-formed formulas: that it is as large as it can be without being inconsistent; i.e., that for any wff φ, the set contains either φ or ~φ.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Of the highest or maximum value, etc.; being a maximum.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. the greatest or most complete or best possible
Another route to estimating daily calcium requirements is called the maximal retention study.
Maybe so, but I’m inclined to think that they were trying to maintain maximal fidelity to the original, rather than adjusting the transcription to what they inferred the 1787 standard to be.
Next time don’t use the word maximal and then get on others for sarcastically using the word you used.
And should so-called maximal essentialism really count as a form of essentialism?
The Axiom of Choice is closely allied to a group of mathematical propositions collectively known as maximal principles.
It suggests and helps to secure a state of affairs in which the definition of public policy is never carried through in abstraction from the variety of actual convictions that is evidenced in society – not because any one of these asserts its right to dictate, but because all claim the freedom to join in public argument in ways that insist on the need for what I have been calling maximal ownership.
However, cardiorespiratory fitness -- defined as maximal oxygen consumption -- did not change significantly between the groups.
The outdoor Tropos nodes exploit another 11n feature called maximal ratio combining (MRC), an algorithm that lets the mesh node adjust the differing phases and amplitudes of the signal it receives on each antenna from a sending client.
We also calculated the amplitude of the N2pc in the target absent search condition for each individual, defined as the maximal negative peak (local minima) between 200 and 300 ms after the onset of the search display.
Preclinical data • levetiracetam is not active against acute seizures, namely the maximal electroshock (MES) and pentylenetetrazol (PTZ) seizure tests • Levetiracetam also appears to lack anticonvulsant activity in other acute seizure tests utilizing chemoconvulsant agents,
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.