from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The sale of goods in large quantities, as for resale by a retailer.
- adj. Of, relating to, or engaged in the sale of goods in large quantities for resale: a wholesale produce market; wholesale goods; wholesale prices.
- adj. Made or accomplished extensively and indiscriminately; blanket: wholesale destruction.
- adv. In large bulk or quantity.
- adv. Extensively; indiscriminately.
- transitive v. To sell in large quantities for resale.
- intransitive v. To engage in wholesale selling.
- intransitive v. To be sold wholesale.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The sale of products, often in large quantities, to retailers or other merchants.
- adj. Of or relating to sale in large quantities, for resale.
- adj. Extensive, indiscriminate, all-encompassing; blanket.
- adv. In bulk or large quantity.
- adv. Indiscriminately.
- v. To sell at wholesale.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Sale of goods by the piece or large quantity, as distinguished from retail.
- adj. Pertaining to, or engaged in, trade by the piece or large quantity; selling to retailers or jobbers rather than to consumers.
- adj. Extensive and indiscriminate.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Sale of goods by the piece or in large quantity, as distinguished from retail.
- n. in the mass; in the gross; in great quantities; hence, without due discrimination or distinction.
- Buying and selling by the piece or in large quantity: as, a wholesale dealer.
- Pertaining to the trade by the piece or quantity: as, the wholesale price.
- Figuratively, in great quantities; extensive and indiscriminate: as, wholesale slaughter.
- To sell by wholesale or in large quantities.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adv. on a large scale without careful discrimination
- adj. ignoring distinctions
- n. the selling of goods to merchants; usually in large quantities for resale to consumers
- v. sell in large quantities
- adv. at a wholesale price
Sorry, no etymologies found.