American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. In widespread existence, practice, or use; increasingly prevalent.
- adj. Abundant or numerous.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Great in quantity or number; abundant; plentiful; numerous.
- Well supplied; abounding; rich; replete; filled: followed by with.
- Prevalent; current; in common use or acceptance.
- Publicly or openly known; hence, manifest; plain; clear.
- Abundantly; plentifully.
- Plainly; clearly.
- Currently; commonly; frequently.
- An obsolete form of rive.
- adj. Widespread, common (especially of unpleasant or harmful things).
- adj. Abounding; present in large numbers, plentiful.
- adj. obsolete Having power; active; nimble.
- adv. Plentifully, abundantly.
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. most frequent or common
- adj. excessively abundant
- From Middle English, from Old English rīfe, rȳfe ("rife, abundant, frequent"), from Proto-Germanic *rīfijaz (“generous”), from Proto-Indo-European *rēip-, *rēib- (“motley”). Cognate with West Frisian rju ("rife, much"), Low German rive ("abundant, munificent"), Dutch rijf ("abundant, copious"), Norwegian riv ("rife"), Icelandic rífr ("rife, munificent"), Icelandic reifa ("to bestow"). (Wiktionary)
- Middle English, from Old English rȳfe. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“He glanced quizzically at his father, his expression rife with disappointment.”
“The city is once again rife with crime, and even the heroes are beginning to doubt whether Gotham can survive without its guardian.”
“I would appreciate if anyone can tell me how much my husbands rife is worth.”
“A scope mounted that high on a fine double rife is an abomination.”
“It's space, my dear," Bralla said, her expression rife with dread.”
“About three weeks before the battle, rumors were again rife of the coming of the rebel horde into our own fair and prosperous State.”
“Wow...a one-off “intimidating” isn’t that a term rife with interpretations... comment and one is a felon?”
“McDonald’s is a fast food chain rife with contradictions.”
“I have a 45-70 1895 Marlin rife. it is bar none,. if not THEEEE most fun fire arm I have ever owned, .. it is close.”
“French political leaders say that the Mediator scandal has exposed the failings of the country's regulatory system, which they have described as rife with conflicts of interest and marked by a distinct apathy toward questions of public health.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘rife’.
A complete Barron's Wordlist for GRE preparation. Your online flashcard replacement.
for GRE Vocab Building
These come from gamma meditation ,I think.
every major discipline has uniquely developed esoteric nomenclature to facilitate interdisciplinary dissemination
Here are 40 advanced English words which should you be able to use them in a sentence will impress even educated native speakers! Perfect if you want to impress the examiner in examinations like: I...
uncategorized words that I enjoy
List of most of the words I've learned
My big word list.
Words that I come across, and go blank, or want to clarify.
Looking for tweets for rife.