from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Liberal in giving or sharing. See Synonyms at liberal.
- adj. Characterized by nobility and forbearance in thought or behavior; magnanimous.
- adj. Marked by abundance; ample: a generous slice of cake.
- adj. Having a rich bouquet and flavor: a generous wine.
- adj. Obsolete Of noble lineage.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Of honorable birth or origin; highborn.
- adj. Exhibiting those qualities which are popularly reregarded as belonging to high birth; noble; honorable; magnanimous; spirited; courageous.
- adj. Open-handed; free to give; not close or niggardly; munificent.
- adj. Characterized by generosity; abundant; overflowing.
- adj. Full of spirit or strength; stimulating; exalting.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Being of noble or honorable birth or origin; well-born.
- Possessed of or showing blood or breeding; spirited; courageous; thoroughbred.
- Noble in character or quality; honorable; magnanimous.
- Liberal; bountiful; munificent: as, a generous giver or gift.
- Strong; full of spirit: as, generous wine.
- Full; overflowing; abundant: as, a generous cup; a generous table.
- Synonyms Magnanimous, etc. (see noble); high-minded.
- Open-handed; free-handed.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. more than adequate
- adj. not petty in character and mind
- adj. willing to give and share unstintingly
_your_ thoughts; but, as we once more note that puzzled look, think your generous heart and honest nature deserve more _generous_ treatment.
States are grappling with record budget deficits, which some governors have tried to close by trimming what they call the generous benefits enjoyed by public employees.
States are grappling with record budget deficits, which some governors have tried to close by trimming what they call the generous benefits public employees receive.
MOSCOW — Prime Minister Vladimir Putin took Russian sports officials to task Friday over the nation's dismal showing at the Vancouver Games, despite what he described as generous state funding.
White House Press Secretary Tony Snow today declared the Bush administration might withdraw what they call their generous offer to allow current and former officials to meet with members of Congress.
Just days after Wal-Mart unveiled what it termed a generous new health care plan, "The New York Times" obtained an internal memo which shows the retailing giant is still looking to cut health care costs.
If I have done what you call a generous, noble deed, this is the first I have heard of it.
The reaction to Wednesday's news by many across the region was: This is what you call generous?
Slow Olympic Start Stirs Russian Angst political pressure at home Thursday to step up its performance at the Winter sports officials to task Friday over the nation's dismal showing at the Games, despite what he described as generous ... sports officials step down over the country's dismal performance at the in
Vladimir Putin took Russian sports officials to task Friday over the nation's dismal showing at the Vancouver Games, despite what he described as generous state funding.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.