from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Given to or marked by prudence and restraint in the use of material resources.
- adj. Deficient or limited in quantity, fullness, or extent.
- adj. Forbearing; lenient.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. prudent and restrained in the use of resources; careful, economical or frugal
- v. Present participle of spare.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Spare; saving; frugal; merciful.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Parsimony.
- n. plural That which is saved by frugality or economy; savings.
- n. The state of being spared from harm or death.
- Inclined to spare or save; economical; frugal; chary; grudging.
- Of a spare amount, quantity, or extent; not abundant or lavish; limited; scanty; restrained: as, a sparing diet; sparing applause.
- Inclined to spare from harm or hardship; not oppressive; forbearing.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. avoiding waste
Sorry, no etymologies found.