American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Grudging and petty in giving or spending.
- adj. Meanly small; scanty or meager: left the waiter a niggardly tip.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Like a niggard; sordidly parsimonious or sparing; close-fisted; stingy: as, a niggardly person.
- Characteristic of a niggard; meanly parsimonious; scanty: as, niggardly entertainment; niggardly thrift.
- Synonyms Parsimonious, Stingy, etc.(see penurious), illiberal, close-fisted, saving, chary.
- In the manner of a niggard; sparingly; parsimoniously.
- adj. Withholding for the sake of meanness; stingy, miserly.
- adv. In a parsimonious way; sparingly, stingily.
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. Meanly covetous or avaricious in dealing with others; stingy; niggard.
- adv. In a niggard manner.
- adj. petty or reluctant in giving or spending
- From niggard + -ly. (Wiktionary)
“There's a broad difference between using the term niggardly - which has a totally different meaning and etymology to that of the N word - and saying that a black man is "uppity.”
“A city councilman lost his job because he used the word niggardly in a report.”
“A climate where the word niggardly is dangerous to your employment prospects.”
“That is not the only case, there was the response to the use of the word niggardly as it related to a budget matter, but the left wing community went wild on the white man who made the statement.”
“Hell, I even hesitate to use the adjective "niggardly" -- an absolutely legitimate word dating back to Middle English -- for fear that it and/or I will be misunderstood.”
“It's like the word "niggardly" -- it sounds racist, and it looks racist, but (historically, at least) it's not.”
“He has discouraged me from using the word niggardly in polite conversation because of its similarity to another N word.”
“But though it was comparatively easy for Velasquez to collect the necessary material and men, it was far more difficult for him -- whom an old writer describes as niggardly, credulous, and suspicious in disposition -- to choose a fit leader.”
“Didn't some senator lose his ride over thw word niggardly? dagwood: Because you are so niggardly, stick around, it gets nagative and nugative too. dafuck: why is everybody so niggative??? wotak: FAIL link has been placed in the queue. cockroach: With a penny-whistle.”
“Several years ago, David Howard, a former staff member of Washington DC Mayor, Anthony Williams, used "niggardly" in a private meeting and was forced to resign.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘niggardly’.
A complete Barron's Wordlist for GRE preparation. Your online flashcard replacement.
Thanks to everyone who added to this list. (I moved it to a new URL, so all the words added on the first day are credited to me—sorry about that.)
(Here’s the original list with a slo...
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
letters starting with n
For whatever reason, speaking some words and names can just make you feel dirty. What words might you feel uncomfortable uttering in front of your 8-year-old child or 80-year-old grandmother?
Outlawed words and books, like this.
The new favourite words of people on Twitter.
A script searches Twitter for "X is my new favorite word" and adds it to this list.
unfathomably, glice, cuh, fab, ciggaty, doll, thuggin, oxymoronic, pineapple, succubutt, griming, cheeky and 2369 more...
My big word list.
Looking for tweets for niggardly.