from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Gaunt and bony. See Synonyms at lean2.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Thin, malnourished and weak.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Meager; thin; rawboned; bony; scranny.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Meager; wasted; raw-boned; lean: as, a scrawny person; scrawny hens.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. being very thin
- adj. inferior in size or quality
Alteration of dialectal scranny, possibly of Scandinavian origin; akin to Norwegian skran, lean.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
Perhaps from Old Norse skrælna ("to be shrivelled"). (Wiktionary)