American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Full of mercy; compassionate: sought merciful treatment for the captives. See Synonyms at humane.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Possessing the attribute of mercy; exercising forbearance or pity; not revengeful or cruel; clement; compassionate; gracious.
- Charaoterized by mercy; manifesting clemency or compassion; giving relief from danger, need, or suffering.
- Synonyms Humane, Merciful (see humane), lenient, mild, tender-hearted.
- adj. showing mercy
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. Full of mercy; having or exercising mercy; disposed to pity and spare offenders; unwilling to punish. Opposite of
- adj. Unwilling to give pain; compassionate.
- adj. showing or giving mercy
- adj. (used conventionally of royalty and high nobility) gracious
- mercy + -ful (Wiktionary)
“All my life I have heard him called merciful because he did not burn her as was his right!”
“With a far better place we could go to - how merciful is it to require those He could have taken to remain here in this world of “pointless suffering”, when they could already be in that far, far better place freed of it?”
“The Rabbis are lavish in their praise of Rachel, whom they describe as merciful, and who waived her personal benefit and desires on behalf of her sister.”
“God had promised them they had no zeal against the wicked inhabitants whom the Lord commanded them to extirpate, pretending pity; but so merciful is God that no man needs to be in any case more compassionate than he.”
“In this word, Blessed are the merciful, is included that saying of Christ, which otherwise we find not in the gospels, It is more blessed to give than to receive, Acts xx.”
“My beloved father, am not I thy daughter Mercy? and art not thou called merciful?”
“You have been always called a merciful man, partner.”
“It is affirmed, without any show of reason, that mercy in God is not infinite, because sometimes he exerciseth severity; that is, that God cannot be called merciful, if he punish any guilty and impenitent sinners.”
“W.A. - He is merciful, that is all we can say for it; and this proves Him to be the true God; He is God, and not man, and therefore we are not consumed.”
“Many men are called merciful: but who shall find a faithful man?”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘merciful’.
Protagonists and relevant words in the Book of Creation (Source: King James Bible)
Words in the Bible evoking biblical stories or with special spiritual meaning. Proper names have been reduced to the minimum.
This is a list of adjectives used by writers to help develop characters.
eyeful, I-ful, i beamful, eifel
Looking for tweets for merciful.