American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Engrossed in thought; contemplative.
- adj. Exhibiting or characterized by careful thought: a thoughtful essay.
- adj. Having or showing heed for the well-being or happiness of others and a propensity for anticipating their needs or wishes.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Occupied with thought; engaged in or disposed to reflection; contemplative; meditative.
- Characterized by or manifesting thought; pertaining to thought; concerned with or dedicated to thought.
- Mindful, as to something specified; heedful; careful: followed by of or an infinitive.
- Showing regard or consideration for others; benevolent; considerate; kindly.
- Full of care; anxious; troubled.
- Synonyms Reflective, pensive, studious.
- Considerate, regardful.
- adj. Demonstrating thought or careful consideration.
- adj. Demonstrating kindness or consideration for others.
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. Full of thought; employed in meditation; contemplative.
- adj. Attentive; careful; exercising the judgment; having the mind directed to an object.
- adj. Anxious; solicitous; concerned.
- adj. taking heed; giving close and thoughtful attention
- adj. having intellectual depth
- adj. acting with or showing thought and good sense
- adj. exhibiting or characterized by careful thought
- adj. considerate of the feelings or well-being of others
- From thought + -ful (Wiktionary)
“Pretty good, Miss Green, the advisor called out with her usual restraint, hands on the hips of her gray sweats, her expression thoughtful A compact woman with frizzy brown hair and a somewhat plain face, Miss Green had a husky voice that always sounded as if she had laryngitis.”
“When he looked up, it was to glance slowly around the room, his expression thoughtful and distant.”
“She looked over the clothes, her expression thoughtful.”
“Chloe turned and looked at me again, her expression thoughtful.”
“Robert stroked his trim beard, his expression thoughtful.”
“Mendoza crossed his arms over his chest, his expression thoughtful.”
“She compressed her lips and looked at me, her expression thoughtful.”
“Hugo drank from his carbonated water and chewed a cherry on the back of his teeth, his expression thoughtful.”
“But, she added, hardly any of the people she spoke to about him used the word thoughtful.”
“There is another kind of safety which I call thoughtful safety,' said he.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘thoughtful’.
Words that relate to learning, knowing, being enlightened...
Simple words that are nice to say or use
Anything hugging related :)
Words ending with -ful
Words to keep in mind for July. The 1st is my birthday. I'll be 30 and pretty much starting my life over from scratch. Hopefully these words will help me on my way.
The dichotomy of a word .... and yes *dichotomy* would be on this very list.
I love words, especially the ones I make up with my friends.
Listening to this as an audio book for the second time. Tim O'Brien uses simple words and phrases to great effect. Very few unfamilar and big words . The writing style reminds me of words from Joh...
Looking for tweets for thoughtful.