American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Of, relating to, originating in, or apprehended by the intellect.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Relating to, performed by, or originating in the intellect.
- In psychology, consciously logical: opposed to hyponoëtie, or unconsciously logical.
- adj. Of or pertaining to the mind or intellect.
- adj. Originating in or apprehended by reason.
- n. The science of the intellect.
- n. A purely intellectual entity.
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. Of or pertaining to the intellect; intellectual.
- adj. of or associated with or requiring the use of the mind
- From Ancient Greek νοητικός (noētikos), ultimately from νοέω (noeō, "I see, understand") (Wiktionary)
- Greek noētikos, from noēsis, understanding; see noesis. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“Brown doesn't mention the "law of attraction" in The Lost Symbol but draws on noetic theory - which he calls noetic "science" - a realm of metaphysics that deals with forms of consciousness typically ignored by mainstream science.”
“These aspects are: 1. mystical experience consists of pre-rational immediate consciousness or feeling; 2. mystical experience removes the distinction between subject and object; 3. mystical experience is prior to language and is therefore ineffable; and 4. mystical experience dissolves or annihilates the self; 5. mystical experience cannot be sustained, and is therefore transient; 6. mystical experience is nevertheless noetic, that is, it imparts insights about the nature of Reality.”
“In particular the book suffers from an ill-advised fling with something called noetic science, which explores the idea that human consciousness can affect the physical world, thereby providing (as we are reminded twice in the space of half a page) the”
“Aristotelian, it drives toward simplification of all knowledge through a kind of noetic bookeeping, anti - iconographic and diagrammatic in form, implemented by the new art of typography.”
“However, the author's "noetic" scientist reports an infinitesimally small difference so, Eureka!”
“He called for more scientific research into the "the world of inner experience," meaning This new "noetic" science would eliminate the apparent contradiction between the experiential understanding of Hindu, Moslem, and Christian.”
“The remarks at the beginning of this post indicate that certain evangelical leaders were already adopting this worldview, and were even suggesting that theology needed to be reformulated to accommodate this "noetic" science.”
“It is a trap that causes us to be complicit, if not aware, with those who profit from our own noetic despoilation.”
“Words are slaves, noetic myrmidons laboring to interdigitate bolides of inspiration with cosmeticized complacence.”
“That this fact is not obvious to all is testimony to the noetic effects of the fall.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘noetic’.
Words that relate to learning, knowing, being enlightened...
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
fancy words to use when describing architecture and design
Words I needed to look up.
The new favourite words of people on Twitter.
A script searches Twitter for "X is my new favourite word" and adds it to this list.
thunderfuck, incredible, merp, sara, flopparoo, smother, fugly, buer, plum, canny, nefelibata, cuntbucket and 2411 more...
Words ending in ic, tic or nic.
My Favorite Words
cool mint antiseptic
Looking for tweets for noetic.