from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Having a determined will.
- adj. Having a vigorous, independent mind.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Having a vigorous, independent will and views
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Having a vigorous mind; esp., having or affecting masculine qualities of mind; -- said of women.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Having a strong or vigorous mind.
- Not in accordance with the female character or manners; unfeminine: applied ironically to women claiming the privileges and opportunities of men.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. marked by vigorous independence of thought and judgment
- adj. having a determined will
Sorry, no etymologies found.
I hope I've brought my daughter up to protect and care for other people, and she's a strong-minded character with a powerful sense of justice.
I was surprised by this, because I like my Reverend - he's "strong-minded," yes, and a pessimist, but he tries relentlessly to save everybody in town, and never gives up, and he's also one of the smartest, sharpest crayons in the town box.
Later, when my daughter got mixed up in a bad crowd, I sought stories written by other parents to help me cope with raising a strong-minded and rebellious adolescent.
"She's very strong-minded," jockey John Velazquez said.
That play, too, features a strong-minded female lead who must deal with internal issues, spurred along by memories of a distant place that remains near and dear to her heart.
I might not be so strong-minded today, if I feel I need coddling.
The play also involves the pleasure of seeing two tough, strong-minded women engaged in a battle of wills.
I have posted some very strong-minded articles in regards to sex and sexual abuse.
She arrived in the UK with a master's degree in politics and strong-minded views, fluent in three languages, confident and excited about what the future here would hold.
Phyllis and Bob are very tough, strong-minded and strong-willed, Bolt says.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.