American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. The quality or condition of one who understands; comprehension.
- n. The faculty by which one understands; intelligence. See Synonyms at reason.
- n. Individual or specified judgment or outlook; opinion.
- n. A compact implicit between two or more people or groups.
- n. The matter implicit in such a compact.
- n. A reconciliation of differences; a state of agreement: They finally reached an understanding.
- n. A disposition to appreciate or share the feelings and thoughts of others; sympathy.
- adj. Characterized by or having comprehension, good sense, or discernment.
- adj. Compassionate; sympathetic.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The act of one who understands or comprehends; comprehension; apprehension and appreciation; discernment.
- n. The knowing power, in general; intelligence; wit. The old psychologists divided the faculties of the mind into understanding, or cognitive power, and will.
- n. The representative faculty; the power of abstract thought; the logical power. Kantian writers restrict understanding to the operation of abstractive thought concerning objects of possible experience.
- n. Intelligence between two or more persons; agreement of minds; harmony; union of sentiment; also, something mutually understood or agreed upon: as, there was an understanding between them.
- Knowing; skilful; intelligent; possessed of or exhibiting good sense.
- n. uncountable Mental, sometimes emotional process of comprehension, assimilation of knowledge, which is subjective by its nature.
- n. countable Reason or intelligence, ability to grasp the full meaning of knowledge, ability to infer.
- n. countable Opinion, judgement or outlook.
- n. countable An informal contract, mutual agreement.
- n. countable A reconciliation of differences.
- n. uncountable Sympathy.
- n. All that people individually sense and feel of themselves.
- adj. Showing compassion.
- v. present participle of understand.
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. Knowing; intelligent; skillful.
- n. The act of one who understands a thing, in any sense of the verb; knowledge; discernment; comprehension; interpretation; explanation.
- n. An agreement of opinion or feeling; adjustment of differences; harmony; anything mutually understood or agreed upon.
- n. The power to understand; the intellectual faculty; the intelligence; the rational powers collectively conceived an designated; the higher capacities of the intellect; the power to distinguish truth from falsehood, and to adapt means to ends.
- n. Specifically, the discursive faculty; the faculty of knowing by the medium or use of general conceptions or relations. In this sense it is contrasted with, and distinguished from, the
- n. an inclination to support or be loyal to or to agree with an opinion
- n. the capacity for rational thought or inference or discrimination
- adj. characterized by understanding based on comprehension and discernment and empathy
- n. the statement (oral or written) of an exchange of promises
- n. the cognitive condition of someone who understands
“ Nay, for the cause of understanding also, they say the thing understood sendeth forth an intelligible species, that is, an intelligible being seen, which, coming into the understanding, makes us understand.”
“High marks for the title understanding also for you!”
“This understanding is the basis of the peace process.”
“If my understanding is accurate, I do not understand how”
“In their model, they've made an assumption of what deficits do to the interest rate, and my understanding is they're assuming a relatively significant impact.”
“Here's where my understanding is at right now, please agree, disagree, pick it apart, etc.”
“Implicit in this understanding is an acknowledgment that to the victors go the spoils, and that narrow interests of the strong almost always trump justice for the weak – that is, unless the “strong” actor is defeated by someone even stronger.”
“In terms of Reindeer vs. Caribou, my understanding is as follows:”
“But my understanding is they will not finalize committee assignments until they know exactly how big their majority is -- which means waiting for the Georgia run off and the Minnesota recount.”
“Your understanding is an interesting subject isn ` t it, why are you determined to misdread this article.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘understanding’.
A combined list of
1. EU Buzz - single words
2. EU Buzz - collocations
3. EU Buzz - the 100 most active
absorption capacity, absorption rate, acceding country, accession candidate, accession countries, accession country, accession criteria, accession cycle, accession negotia..., accession partner..., accession priorities, accession treaty and 2650 more...
Words that relate to learning, knowing, being enlightened...
Words in the Bible evoking biblical stories or with special spiritual meaning. Proper names have been reduced to the minimum.
A list of words that does the opposite of raising the bar
1. Strictly EU terms with special European meaning used only in the EU
2. Keywords central to the understanding of the EU (people working for the EU are usually able to give thematic...
things you may rise above with.
goto things (bad)
( randomness, events, situations, nouns )
The fruits and gifts of the Holy Spirit
Words to keep in mind for July. The 1st is my birthday. I'll be 30 and pretty much starting my life over from scratch. Hopefully these words will help me on my way.
TABLE OF PROPOSED RULES TO LIVE BY
The Golden Rule Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
The Silver Rule Do not do unto others what you would not have them do un...
Words that describe the color red.
I love words, especially the ones I make up with my friends.
Very basic words for ESL students.
Nowhere else to put these yet.
Looking for tweets for understanding.