from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Having or showing keen discernment, sound judgment, and farsightedness. See Synonyms at shrewd.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Having or showing keen discernment, sound judgment, and farsightedness.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Of quick sense perceptions; keen-scented; skilled in following a trail.
- adj. Hence, of quick intellectual perceptions; of keen penetration and judgment; discerning and judicious; knowing; far-sighted; shrewd; sage; wise.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Keenly perceptive; discerning, as by some exceptionally developed or extraordinary natural power; especially, keen of scent: with of.
- Exhibiting or marked by keen intellectual discernment, especially of human motives and actions; having or proceeding from penetration into practical affairs in general; having keen practical sense; acute in discernment or penetration; discerning and judicious; shrewd: as, a sagacious mind.
- Intelligent; endowed with sagacity.
- Synonyms and Sage, Knowing, etc. (see astute); perspicacious, clear-sighted, long-headed, sharp-witted, intelligent, well-judged, sensible.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. skillful in statecraft or management
- adj. acutely insightful and wise
From Latin sagāx, sagāc-, of keen perception; see sāg- in Indo-European roots.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
Coined between 1600 and 1610 from sagacity + -ous (Wiktionary)