American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Forehand, as in tennis.
- adj. Looking or planning ahead; circumspect.
- adj. Having ample financial resources; well-off.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Early; timely; seasonable: as, forehanded provision.
- Formed in the forehand or fore parts.
- Well circumstanced as regards property and financial condition generally: as, a forehanded farmer.
- adj. Looking to the future; displaying foresight; prudent.
- adj. sports, not comparable Played with a forehand stroke.
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. Early; timely; seasonable.
- adj. U.S. Beforehand with one's needs, or having resources in advance of one's necessities; in easy circumstances.
- adj. Formed in the forehand or fore parts.
- adj. (of racket strokes) made with palm facing direction of stroke
- adj. having provided for the future
- From forehand + -ed. (Wiktionary)
“But to tell the truth, I never was a very forward old fellow, nor what my farming neighbors call a forehanded one.”
“The summer waned; the cows were turned into the shack, and the most "forehanded" among us began to cut boughs for banking up the house, and set afoot other preparations for winter's cold.”
“T won't burn up any faster for being chopped," Friend Barton said; and then his wife Rachel knew that if he had a reason for being "forehanded" with the wood, he was not ready to give it.”
“Toby was said to be the most thrifty and "forehanded" darkey in the settlement.”
“Hale, merry fellows they were -- a little more red of face and loud of talk than was quite seemly in a stranger's eyes, but industrious and "forehanded," and kind of heart to parents, wives and babies.”
“Her husband was energetic and "forehanded," and without the slightest approach to intentional cruelty, looked to his wife to "keep up her end of the log.”
“forehanded" than Marsdenites in general, had neglected to provide one for herself.”
“forehanded" with the wood, he was not ready to give it.”
“Sence you're so blamed forehanded about it, no; I'd b'lieve nature first, and facts.”
“Antropov faked a backhander and beat Biron with a forehanded shot for his second goal since joining the Rangers before the trade deadline.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘forehanded’.
Looking for tweets for forehanded.