from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Careful in dealing with small sums of money or small matters.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Thrifty in regards to small amounts of money.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Thrifty in small matters only. Used mostly in the phrase penny-wise and pound foolish.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Saving small sums at the hazard of larger; niggardly in unimportant affairs: generally used in the phrase penny-wise and pound-foolish, careful in small economies and wasteful in large affairs.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. thrifty in small matters only
penny + wise (Wiktionary)