from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Having knowledge or cognizance: aware of the difference between the two versions; became aware of faint sound.
- adj. Archaic Vigilant; watchful.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Vigilant or on one's guard against danger or difficulty.
- adj. Conscious or having knowledge of something
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Watchful; vigilant or on one's guard against danger or difficulty.
- adj. Apprised; informed; cognizant; conscious.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Watchful; vigilant; on one's guard.
- Apprised; cognizant; in possession of information: as, he was aware of the enemy's designs.
- Specifically Informed by sight or other sense.
- Synonyms Aware, Conscious (see conscious), mindful, acquainted (with), sensible, observant.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. (sometimes followed by `of') having or showing knowledge or understanding or realization or perception
- adj. bearing in mind; attentive to
 He is especially well known for his use of the English word aware when speaking French.
Already, the owner of a medical education company, indulging in Clintonesque parsing of the word "aware,"
While delivering an interview for a French channel, he used the English word "aware" in order to introduce the notion of self-awareness as a key of success.
Helen C.K.S. mentions that the forthcoming “Reversible Knitting” book, of which I had been dimly aware, is by Lynn Barr who wrote “Knitting New Scarves”.
A clafoutis, as you are well aware, is an egg and cream flan-type treat; a fruit-studded crêpe batter baked and served warm dusted with powdered sugar.
A clafoutis, as you are well aware, is an egg and cream flan-type treat; a fruit-studded crÃªpe batter baked and served warm dusted with powdered sugar.
To illustrate, in a new ad he fires a bullet through the middle of a copy of a "cap and trade" bill, which, the governor may not be aware, is already dead.
While aware from the papers that the Meat Strike was on and that it was an exceedingly bitter one, all thought of it at that moment was farthest from Freddie
Being aware is the reflexive action of conscious examination.
The Paddle Diva's are a group of women dedicated to introducing more ladies to the sport, which, as you are well aware, is heavily male-dominated.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.