American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Having knowledge or cognizance: aware of the difference between the two versions; became aware of faint sound.
- adj. Archaic Vigilant; watchful.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Watchful; vigilant; on one's guard.
- Apprised; cognizant; in possession of information: as, he was aware of the enemy's designs.
- Specifically Informed by sight or other sense.
- Synonyms Aware, Conscious (see conscious), mindful, acquainted (with), sensible, observant.
- adj. Vigilant or on one's guard against danger or difficulty.
- adj. Conscious or having knowledge of something
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. Watchful; vigilant or on one's guard against danger or difficulty.
- adj. Apprised; informed; cognizant; conscious.
- adj. (sometimes followed by `of') having or showing knowledge or understanding or realization or perception
- adj. bearing in mind; attentive to
- From Old English ġewær, from ġe- ("(intensifier)") (English a-) + wær (English ware), from Proto-Germanic *ga- + *waraz. Replaced plain (unintensified) ware. (Wiktionary)
- Middle English, variant of iwar, from Old English gewær; see wer-3 in Indo-European roots. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“ He is especially well known for his use of the English word aware when speaking French.”
“Already, the owner of a medical education company, indulging in Clintonesque parsing of the word "aware,”
“While delivering an interview for a French channel, he used the English word "aware" in order to introduce the notion of self-awareness as a key of success.”
“Helen C.K.S. mentions that the forthcoming “Reversible Knitting” book, of which I had been dimly aware, is by Lynn Barr who wrote “Knitting New Scarves”.”
“A clafoutis, as you are well aware, is an egg and cream flan-type treat; a fruit-studded crêpe batter baked and served warm dusted with powdered sugar.”
“A clafoutis, as you are well aware, is an egg and cream flan-type treat; a fruit-studded crÃªpe batter baked and served warm dusted with powdered sugar.”
“To illustrate, in a new ad he fires a bullet through the middle of a copy of a "cap and trade" bill, which, the governor may not be aware, is already dead.”
“While aware from the papers that the Meat Strike was on and that it was an exceedingly bitter one, all thought of it at that moment was farthest from Freddie”
“Being aware is the reflexive action of conscious examination.”
“The Paddle Diva's are a group of women dedicated to introducing more ladies to the sport, which, as you are well aware, is heavily male-dominated.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘aware’.
Use these and get promoted
abducens.....draw..., ablation.....carr..., acetylcholine......., adrenalin.....nea..., afferent.....to c..., agnosia.....no kn..., alar.....wing-like, alexia.....no words, alveus.....canal, amacrine.....no l..., ambidextrous........, ambiguus.....doub... and 701 more...
recycling words for ma citz crs wrk
Aldous Huxley said words ". . . are the instruments of thought; they form the channel along which thought flows; they are the moulds in which thought is shaped.â€
With that in mind,...
Very basic words for ESL students.
List of adjectival terms, from aggressive to zippered, paired in printed materials with the adverb coruscatingly, identified by a simple query to Google Search (Books).
This is a list of academic words for students learning English as a Second or Foreign Language. It includes 570 word families that often appear in academic texts. It does not include words that are...
Looking for tweets for aware.