from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Suave; urbane.
- adj. Affable; genial.
- adj. Carefree and gay; jaunty.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Gracious, courteous.
- adj. Suave, urbane and sophisticated.
- adj. Charming, confident and carefully dressed.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Characterized by courteousness, affability, or gentleness; of good appearance and manners; graceful; complaisant.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Of gentle mien; of pleasant manners; courteous; affable; attractive; gay; light-hearted.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. having a cheerful, lively, and self-confident air
- adj. having a sophisticated charm
Middle English debonaire, gracious, kindly, from Old French, from de bon aire, of good lineage or disposition : de, of (from Latin dē; see de-) + bon, bonne, good (from Latin bonus; see deu-2 in Indo-European roots) + aire, nest, family; see aerie.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
French de bon air "having good appearances" (Wiktionary)