American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Of good upbringing; well-mannered and refined.
- adj. Of good breed. Used of animals.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Of good breeding; polite; cultivated; refined.
- Of good breed, stock, or race, as a domestic animal. Compare half-bred, thoroughbred.
- adj. well-mannered and refined because of a good upbringing and education
- adj. of animals of good breed
GNU Webster's 1913
- [Obs., except as applied to domestic animals.] Well brought up, as shown in having good manners; cultivated; refined; polite.
- adj. Having good breeding; refined in manners; polite; cultivated.
- adj. of good upbringing
“On Witte's tongue the phrase "incredibly well-bred man," which he used to describe the youthful Nicholas, became cutting invective.”
“The well-bred Khawlah has won over a mile and finished third in the Group Three Oh So Sharp Stakes at Newmarket and could throw down a challenge under Frankie Dettori.”
“Klein had 13 horses, three of them well-bred brood mares he bought from local thoroughbred man Curly Taylor.”
“When Petrizzo took the plunge, he acquired well-bred Labs and sought education in animal training and behavior.”
““Spoken like the well-bred gentleman that you are,” Trent remarked.”
“Like how sometimes your friend has a new sweater in a particularly awful shade of puce that makes him/her look quite bilious, and when your friend asks, "How do I look in my pleasing new sweater?" you respond, if you are a well-bred person, "What a striking color that is!”
“I finished my soup and sandwich, turned up the volume on my iPod, then flipped through another book, looking for sites both Patrick and I would enjoy; after all, I was supposed to be introducing him to things that “a well-bred person should know.””
“They were well-bred, well-educated real estate moguls and philanthropists.”
“She showed neither fright nor anger, and Malemute Kid chuckled at her well-bred equanimity.”
“He glanced about him at the well-bred, well-dressed men and women, and breathed into his lungs the atmosphere of culture and refinement, and at the same moment the ghost of his early youth, in stiff-rim and square-cut, with swagger and toughness, stalked across the room.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘well-bred’.
A complete Barron's Wordlist for GRE preparation. Your online flashcard replacement.
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
Looking for tweets for well-bred.