from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Pleasing and wholesome in appearance; attractive. See Synonyms at beautiful.
- adj. Suitable; seemly: comely behavior.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Pleasing or attractive to the eye.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Pleasing or agreeable to the sight; well-proportioned; good-looking; handsome.
- adj. Suitable or becoming; proper; agreeable.
- adv. In a becoming manner.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Decent; suitable; proper; becoming; suited to time, place, circumstances, or persons.
- Handsome; graceful; symmetrical; pleasing in appearance: said of the person or of any part of it, and also of things.
- Synonyms Handsome, Pretty, etc. See beautiful.
- Suitably or fittingly; gracefully; handsomely; in a pleasing manner.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. very pleasing to the eye
- adj. according with custom or propriety
Middle English comli, alteration (probably influenced by bicomli, seemly) of cumli, from Old English cȳmlic, lovely, delicate, from cȳme, beautiful.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
Old English cȳmlīċ, from cȳme ("fine, exquisite"). (Wiktionary)