American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Of such surpassing brilliance or excellence as to suggest divine inspiration: an inspired musician; an inspired performance.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- That is or has been inhaled; taken into the lungs: as, inspired air.
- Actuated, guided, or controlled by divine influence; informed, instructed, or directed by the Holy Spirit: as, an inspired teacher.
- Produced under the direction or influence of inspiration: as, the inspired writings (that is, the Scriptures).
- adj. Having excellence through inspiration.
- adj. Filled with inspiration or motivated.
- v. Simple past tense and past participle of inspire..
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. Breathed in; inhaled.
- adj. Moved or animated by, or as by, a supernatural influence; affected by divine inspiration
- adj. Communicated or given as by supernatural or divine inspiration; having divine authority; hence, sacred, holy; -- opposed to
uninspired, profane, or secular.
- adj. Moved to a higher level of thought, creativity, or motivation.
- adj. being of such surpassing excellence as to suggest inspiration by the gods
“The Prayer Book isn't inspired, I know," said an old coast-guardsman some years ago to a friend of mine, "but, sure and certain, _'tis as bad as inspired_!”
“Throughout 2004, before thousands took to the streets in November and December to protest a stolen election, the phrase inspired a democratic youth organization, a website and a song.”
“The phrase "inspired by a true story" affixes itself to novels like a warning label: Beware sententious moralizing.”
“Reportedly, the title inspired Manson after watching”
“It availed nothing; he had fallen so low that his title inspired no respect, and when we left the inn they were still endeavoring to get their money and threatening him with a summary proceeding if the demand was not complied with.”
“What my father and I came to realize was that the idea of professional acting training was never fully appreciated in Ireland," Ms. Ryan said over coffee this summer in the Grand Canal cultural quarter here, where the Lir a name inspired by a much-loved story from Irish folklore will be based, in a newly refurbished Trinity building that includes two theaters and rehearsal, design and dance studios.”
“John Madden's penchant for the term inspired a San Jose surf-rock band to call itself Smash Mouth.”
“Konfabulator Forums - http July 1995, The Chemical Brothers released their debut album Exit Planet Dust (the title inspired by their name change) on Freestyle Dust/Junior Boy#39s Own.”
“Winner of Sundance's Alfred P. Sloan prize and the Excellence in Cinematography Award, Diane Bell's poetic feature OBSELEDIA, the title inspired by the encyclopedia of obsolete things compiled by a librarian who falls in love with one of his entries: a free-spirited projectionist.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘inspired’.
Words in the Bible evoking biblical stories or with special spiritual meaning. Proper names have been reduced to the minimum.
All words of the Lisbon Treaty
(Persons' names, foreign and grammatical words have been eliminated, MWEs have been split up into individual words. Capitalization has been retained if r...
How do approaching (or missed) deadlines make you feel?
My big word list.
words that describe me or that i am focusing on.
( personal list )
Listening to this as an audio book for the second time. Tim O'Brien uses simple words and phrases to great effect. Very few unfamilar and big words . The writing style reminds me of words from Joh...
Words to describe our atmosphere, our services, our philosophy and the quality that we are always striving for.
Words I`d like to remember
Looking for tweets for inspired.